xorg-x11-drv-evdev-7.0.1-2 bad!

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Oct 19 10:19:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:20:19AM +0300, George Billios wrote:
> I will also send you mine by email because I was hit by the same problem
> even if the updated xorg-x11-server-Xorg was installed.

Summary from our short email exchange:
If you have an xorg.conf that registers an evdev device, this device will now
produce duplicate events. For most setups, you probably don't need it in your
xorg.conf because HAL picks it up anyway. If you really do, add option
"GrabDevice" "true" and that'll restore the old grabbing behaviour.

> In the mean time I would advice to reverse back to the old behaviour,
> since it is way to close to the F10 release to do these kind of changes.

No. the old behaviour is too broken, and it's good that it's finally fixed.
"Macintosh mouse button emulation" and the keys that control volume, suspend,
etc. are broken in the old behaviour, and that's a quite serious regression
from F9.

Cheers,
  Peter