None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Oct 20 08:51:32 UTC 2008

Le Lun 20 octobre 2008 03:48, James Antill a écrit :

> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 11:37 -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> Forget about Sendmail. Or Exim. Or Postfix as default install.
>>
>> Really.
>>
>> There's two types of people using fedora:
>> 1) People who don't run a mail server
>
>  I think you meant to add _incoming_ in there, having mail that's
> generated on the local machine go somewhere _reliably_ is a basic
> feature required by all users.

Also filtering mail on MUA startup is just trainwreak recipe.
If you want your MUA to start fast you need to pre-filter junk mail in
the background (no not everyone uses gmail and gmail is not perfect
anyway).

So far, I haven't seen anything beating fetchmail + local MTA +
server-side filters + local imap or local maildir delivery in Fedora.

--
Nicolas Mailhot