None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 18:23:40 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) said:
>>> I understand where you are coming from but I have to say the above
>>> statement is, imo, fundamentally wrong.
>> I agree with Seth. Since most desktop users don't have a centralized
>> logserver but do have an e-mail account somewhere, it makes perfect sense.
>> We need to work some on getting e-mail going somewhere useful, though, and
>> on making the e-mails sent be not "junk".
>
> I'm trying to think of a single thing that logwatch (or cron) would send
> about now that would be useful to forward to a random desktop user's yahoo
> address. I'm failing.

Most people would probably like to know if smartctl thinks their disk
drive is likely to fail or if a raid member has already failed and they
are running in degraded mode.   And maybe if a bazillion ssh login
attempts have failed.   As for cron, that would be up to what the user
has scheduled.  It just needs to behave as documented and expected.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com