None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Thomas Woerner twoerner at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 10:50:48 UTC 2008

What about this (maybe silly) idea:

The default desktop installation is not providing a mta like sendmail,
postfix or exim. A tiny local program is using syslog to collect local
emails in a file in /var/log in mailbox format. This way emails e.g.
from cron or mdadm are not lost and a local email reader could be used
to read the emails. Additionally logrotate would help to keep the amount
of emails at an acceptable level. SELinux shouldn't be a problem for
this solution.

A symlink to /var/spool/mail would be nice, but I think that SELinux
does not like this at all.

If a user needs fetchmail or a real mta, he has to install sendmail,
postfix or exim. fetchmail could have a requirement for MTA.

What do you think?

Ciao,
Thomas

--
Thomas Woerner
Software Engineer            Phone: +49-711-96437-310