None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Arjan van de Ven arjan at infradead.org
Tue Oct 21 14:29:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:52:27 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm pretty solidly of the opinion that email is nowhere near being
> > the most sensible way to get important information to a typical
> > desktop user. If a failure is important then the user needs to know
> > about it as soon as possible - mail provides no guarantees about
> > timely delivery. We have plenty of desktop infrastructure to give
> > important alerts to users, we're just failing to do so.
>
> If local delivery of mail fails, there's no reason to think any other
> notification method would have succeeded.

local mail is rather taxing on a system. If a harddisk is marginal for
example... a mail delivery will cause the entire pagecache to be
written to the disk, and guess what... the MTA will get stuck on that.

And that assumes that the local user even reads "root" email.

--
Arjan van de Ven 	Intel Open Source Technology Centre
visit http://www.lesswatts.org