[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:19:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:35:36 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >  CentOS's
> > goals are better oriented to the needs of someone that wants to deploy a
> > system and run it for years.  Fedora is good for people who want to get
> > the latest technologies from upstream as soon as they're stable enough
> > to integrate into a running system.
> Right. But why can't Fedora do better? I feel Fedora could do better.
>
> > > This situation seems to be reflected in the Fedora project itself.
> > > Guess, how many Fedora infrastructure servers are run under the latest
> > > "stable" Fedora release?
> >
> > As few as possible.
> IMO, a fundamental management/infrastructure mistake - If these people
> were using Fedora, they would be facing the issues Fedora users are
> facing everyday and likely would being to understand why people complain
> about Fedora.

How many of the packagers run Rawhide?
How often do they run it compared with other Fedora/CentOS/RHEL releases?

How many don't try Rawhide until one of the test releases?

How many skip even the test releases and only try FN+1 after its
final release?

How many use multi-boot machines where they switch between FN-1, FN
and FN+1 as is necessary for testing and also for testing updates?

How many publish untested mass-builds of updates (as aided by
%{dist}-madness)?