Make subpixel smoothing default?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:40:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 17:17 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> That and people who use laptops have usually already compromised a lot
> on the screen part, so they accept fringing better.
For me the sub-pixel hinting is superior to just the grey-scale one
(98dpi). For one the fonts look much more crisp (grey-scale hinting
leaves them blurry), in bigger sizes there is an unwanted colour "halo"
around the letters though. But in order to look nice it requires to have
correct subixel order set. If you set it wrong, it looks awful. I don't
know if we can guess the right order for LCDs...

Martin