[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 21:54:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 23:33:41 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>
>> My proposal was clear: start the project when somebody has volunteered
>> for each of the packages that are in @code and @base (and maybe other
>> comps groups, I don't remember exactly). And keep a page with the
>> packages maintained such as not to give wrong expectations.
>
> Be careful with a project based on promises. Somebody might volunteer to
> maintain a package, but leave the project already prior to the first
> important security-fix due to lack of time or because of more important
> obligations. Learn from Fedora Legacy's fate. Not enough commitment from
> the target group. Too much bureaucracy for the few people who prepared
> updates [= a slow review process in bugzilla even for small patches copied
> from RHEL, lack of trust, all contributors had to wait for reviews,
> bottle-necks in the build'n'release process]. With every week a security
> update had to wait somewhere in a review ticket, some more people
> (including contributors) left the target group.

Now that we are constructive talking.. how can we lower the
bureaucracy and build trust in an environment where its all based on
who knows who and relationships take a long time to build up (I mean
this for any project from the Linux kernel, etc.) And you are correct,
my attitude towards Ralph earlier stunk.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux