dependencies between {swfdec-mozilla, gnash-plugin} and nspluginwrapper

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 14:20:31 UTC 2008

Martín Marqués (martin.marques at gmail.com) said:
> Yesterday I started to finish configuring some things that were left
> behind on my new laptop (amd64), and bumpped up with flash support for
> firefox.
>
> The thing is that swfdec didn't work, and gnash neither.
>
> Solution: remove nspluginwrapper.
>
> So I wanted to ask before opening a bug report: shouldn't there be a
> dependency on all 3 packages (don't know about others) so that you can
> only have one of the 3 packages (al least the plugins:
> nspluginwrapper, swfdec-mozilla, gnash-plugin) installed?

nspluginwrapper doesn't actually provide any media handling, so it's
not something that really can be 'Required' on the same level.

Furthermore, given that you'd want nspluginwrapper for other things
while simultaneously using swfdec, or gnash, or whatever else, you
really want to get to the bottom of why it doesn't work with them,
and fix it.

Bill