Make announcing soname bumps mandatory (was Re: rawhide report: 20081018 changes)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 17:05:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 01:17 -0700, Alex Lancaster wrote:
> I think that the above policy should be made mandatory rather than
> "nice to" (unless you happen to be building all affected package
> yourself in which case an e-mail is superfluous).  At the very least
> it would get maintainers in the habit of running repoquery more
> regularly and so they would get a better sense of what other packages
> depended on their package (many maintainers seem unaware of this).
> Ideally this would be automated and provided in regular reports, or
> somehow incorporated into PackageDB.

Something that I'm planning for our infrastructure in the future is the
ability to do a build in the buildsystem, have it go through some
post-build examination such as:
  Did a soname change?
  Did provides change?
  Did requires change?
  Did files get removed?
  Did files get added?

so on and so forth, all geared toward "would this cause problems if
introduced into the package set?".  The maintainer would get a report
and if some things triggered poorly (like so name changes) the build
wouldn't get tagged into the collection, and the maintainer would have
to interact with something to either force the tag (which could then
trigger the emails you're talking about, soname bumping etc...) or throw
the build away and do something different.

Of course this type of functionality is blocking on a few things, like
an automated testing environment.  But hey, we'll get there at some
point!

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!