state of Fedora kernel and Desktop use?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 11:59:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 01:05:00PM +0200, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>Hi devels & all,
>I'll be brief so not to take much of your time.
>
>I read this article [1] about general Linux kernel development and how
>desktop use is ignored by mainstream kernel developers, and how
>desktop performance is suffering because of that.
>
>I took out this quote to summarize:
>"I think the kernel developers at large haven't got the faintest idea
>just how big the problems in userspace are. It is a very small brave
>minority that are happy to post to lkml, and I keep getting users
>telling me on IRC, in person, and via my own mailing list, what their
>problems are. And they've even become fearful of me, even though I've
>never viewed myself as a real kernel developer."
>
>What is the status of Fedora kernel regarding specific patches that
>make desktop perform better? Is is true that mostly big vendor issues

The status is the same here as it is for every other kind of patch.
Fedora tries very hard to not carry additional patches.  With the
exception of a few things like exec-shield, if the patches aren't
upstream or headed there rapidly, they generally aren't carried.

It's easier to talk about specific patches when they are pointed out.
Neither the interview, nor you did that so I don't really know what
sort of patches you're talking about.

josh