X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Mon Oct 27 21:54:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 14:19 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> > If you're running F10Beta/Rawhide, you may have noticed already, but I
> > wanted to make sure everyone knows this is intentional:
> >
> > X HAS MOVED FROM VT7 TO VT1.
> >
> > GDM specifically starts X on tty1, and upstart does not start a getty on
> > tty1 in runlevel 5.
>
> I'm running today's rawhide, but I still see X11 on vty7 (Ctrl-Alt-F7),
> init log on vty1, and text login on vty2 through vty6.

Are you running GDM as your display manager? It's on tty1 on my system -
same gdm / xinit versions as you. When was the last time you rebooted?

> The anaconda-11.4.1.51 installer also runs X11 on vty7, with anaconda "console"
> on vty1, shell on vty2, various logs on vty3 through vty5, and "No signal" on vty6.

You're correct; this information does not apply to anaconda. (At least
not yet.)

One thing though: Anaconda typically runs X on tty6.

tty1: console
tty2: shell
tty3: anaconda.log
tty4: syslog
tty5: redirected output from commands run by anaconda
tty6: X

Not sure why it would show up as tty7 on your system.

-w