X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 15:08:03 UTC 2008

shmuel siegel wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:44 AM, shmuel siegel
>> <fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu> wrote:

>>> Because you are changing a user interface. What is going to happen
>>> when the
>>> user switches to tty1 and nothing happens? The basic logic of
>>> putting X on
>>> tty7 is to get it out of the way. Humans will use the lowest
>>> numbered ttys
>>> first. Besides breaking existing documentation, including advice on
>>> various
>>> forums, is not a good idea.
>>>

>> The basic logic of X starting on tty7 is because it was the first open
>> VT because getty is already running on tty1-6. I can show you the code
>> in the X server where it picks the first available VT. This is just
>> changing it so that X will start on tty1. What interface is that
>> breaking? A broken assumption that tty1 == !X?
>>
>> --
>> Dan
>>

> Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, the code did that
> deliberately? Maybe someone thought that it would be a good idea for
> usable consoles numbers to start at 1?  Or someone thought that once
> people started down a certain path with conventions, it shouldn't be
> changed unless the people saw a real benefit. I don't think that it is
> a broken assumption that I should know where my usable consoles are.
> Forcing the user to guess where the console is is a broken interface.
> Maybe this cartoon will make the point
> http://www.lesher.ws/queryinterface.html.

Just stop for a second.

Roll back from the keyboard a bit. Take a deep breath. Clear your mind
of what you were doing. Relax. Listen to the gentle whirr of your
computer, and close your eyes.

Feeling relaxed? Ok, now open your eyes, and ask yourself the following
question:

"Do I /really/ care?"

Look at the F keys on your keyboard. The whole of your gripe lies within
the space of 6 inches. Lets not have a flame war today. Lets just move
our habits 6 inches to the left and let life be good.

--CJD