X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Oct 28 16:15:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 12:00 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 16:44 +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:08:03AM -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> > > "Do I /really/ care?"
> > >
> > > Look at the F keys on your keyboard. The whole of your gripe lies within
> > > the space of 6 inches. Lets not have a flame war today. Lets just move
> > > our habits 6 inches to the left and let life be good.
> >
> > 6 inches to the left is the phone.
> >
> > Yes, I care.  The self-declared "desktop" guys, which for most of them
> > don't seem to have met a user in their life, have decided a while ago
> > that whoever doesn't fit their imaginary use case is irrelevant and
> > can be ignored.  10+ years old conventions and habits are unimportant
> > and can be ignored if it gives them less work to do what they want to
> > have.  This is just one more in a series.
> >
> > Meanwhile, Ubuntu runs rings around Fedora when it comes to popularity
> > for the desktop, and the server experience grows increasingly worse.
>
> Partly because they make hard decisions and ignore certain segments of
> the Linux user-base to produce well-polished, easy-to-use distribution.

I strongestly disagree - These people are unable to comprehend how they
are running down Fedora and prefer pushing around users.

> Ubuntu enabled NetworkManager way before we did so in Fedora.
Well chosen example: Ubuntu had been so stupid to adopt an immature
tool aiming at single-user/single-seat laptop users, first.

One reason for why I am not using Ubuntu.

> personally wouldn't have done that as early as they did (and I didn't
> push for it in Fedora for that reason), and doing so didn't work for
> some of Ubuntu's users.  But they kept it on anyway because for most of
> their target audience, it improved their lives.  Otherwise they would
> have turned it off years ago.
>
> Were there Ubuntu users who were pissed off that arcane kernel boot
> messages were covered up by a pretty bootsplash?  Did they get angry and
> go away?
>
> Ubuntu is Ubuntu precisely because of the controversial choices that the
> people driving the distribution made.  Is their popularity the result of
> the "correctness" of any of these hard choices?  Maybe.
Ask yourselves why we are not NOT using Ubuntu - If people wanted Fedora
to be Ubuntu, we weren't using Fedora.

Ralf