X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 16:38:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 17:15 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 12:00 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> > > 6 inches to the left is the phone.
> > >
> > > Yes, I care.  The self-declared "desktop" guys, which for most of them
> > > don't seem to have met a user in their life, have decided a while ago
> > > that whoever doesn't fit their imaginary use case is irrelevant and
> > > can be ignored.  10+ years old conventions and habits are unimportant
> > > and can be ignored if it gives them less work to do what they want to
> > > have.  This is just one more in a series.
> > >
> > > Meanwhile, Ubuntu runs rings around Fedora when it comes to popularity
> > > for the desktop, and the server experience grows increasingly worse.
> >
> > Partly because they make hard decisions and ignore certain segments of
> > the Linux user-base to produce well-polished, easy-to-use distribution.
>
> I strongestly disagree - These people are unable to comprehend how they
> are running down Fedora and prefer pushing around users.
>
> > Ubuntu enabled NetworkManager way before we did so in Fedora.
> Well chosen example: Ubuntu had been so stupid to adopt an immature
> tool aiming at single-user/single-seat laptop users, first.
>
> One reason for why I am not using Ubuntu.

> > personally wouldn't have done that as early as they did (and I didn't
> > push for it in Fedora for that reason), and doing so didn't work for
> > some of Ubuntu's users.  But they kept it on anyway because for most of
> > their target audience, it improved their lives.  Otherwise they would
> > have turned it off years ago.
> >
> > Were there Ubuntu users who were pissed off that arcane kernel boot
> > messages were covered up by a pretty bootsplash?  Did they get angry and
> > go away?
> >
> > Ubuntu is Ubuntu precisely because of the controversial choices that the
> > people driving the distribution made.  Is their popularity the result of
> > the "correctness" of any of these hard choices?  Maybe.
> Ask yourselves why we are not NOT using Ubuntu - If people wanted Fedora

Because they compromise free software in a short-sighted manner by
recommending and including proprietary illegally-distributed codecs and
bundled binary drivers (or ndiswrapper) and because they don't
contribute much back to the community?

I don't particularly care where my VTs are at.  I learn and adapt,
otherwise I'd still be using WordStar or PFWrite or some other crappy
DOS application for writing documents, and WinSOCK for my SLIP dialup at
9600bps.

Dan