Default network configuration during installation, NetworkManager and the /etc/sysconfig/network-script's

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 16:48:48 UTC 2008

> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 11:31 +0000, Michael Cutler wrote:
> >
> > (1). Include NetworkManager in the '@core' group, such that every
> > install will include NetworkManager and a minimal install as described
> > above will bring the system up with network connectivity.
>
> And here we have another fun argument about how 'minimal' should the
> minimal install be!  We've chucked yum in @core, might as well chuck
> NetworkManager too...

Right, but we still don't turn NM on by default with chkconfig.  Which
means even if you bring it into @core, your networking still won't work
unless you turn NM on post-install manually.

The issue here (IIRC) was that Anaconda won't set up an ifcfg file for
you if you don't use network to install, because the network
configuration screen got removed as it was mostly redundant for installs
where NM is active.

If you're not installing over the network (and thus there's no network
configuration to save out) should the "network config" screen come back?
Or should anaconda just activate all devices onboot with DHCP?  The
latter sounds like a loss.  If you want stuff set up post-boot without
NetworkManager, maybe it's not unreasonable that you have to configure
it yourself.  What's the difference if that happens post-install or
during install?

Dan