X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Oct 28 22:04:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 13:03 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> >
> > Good idea. Have a "single-user/single-seat" vs. ""multiuser" toggle in
> > the install ;)
>
> Ralf, the desktop team has done quite a bit of work relating to
> multiple user scenarios such as fast user switching, GNOME user share,
> ConsoleKit building a better foundation for multiseat, etc.
We will see how things have evolved with FC10. My experiences with FC9's
desktop so far have not been "overwhelming" and my experiments with
rawhide over the last couple of weeks, haven't been much better.

>   About the only thing that isn't yet fully fleshed out for multiuser is
> NetworkManager,
Correct, no network profiles, no support for autofs mounted homes, no
separation of "system-wide/user" choices, permanent issues with
gnome-keyring, SELinux, broken or unreadable dialogs, no documentation,
etc.

>  but the old system of "run system-config-network"
> wasn't really any better.
Yes, one buggered system is being replaced with a bad one.

The major advantage of the old "system-config-network": It at least
behaved deterministic. Using NM is like "herding a sack of fleas" as we
say in German.