Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Oct 29 09:46:21 UTC 2008

On Wed October 29 2008, Richard Hughes wrote:

> The sort of person that even knows what a tty is, is probably in a
> position where they can change it to whatever they want. Seriously, had
> anyone done any research on the number of Fedora users who even use
> ttys?

I use it every now and then to get pam_mount running, because then I need to
login as root, which is something I do not want to do via gdm. Also I need it
if the GUI does not start, which happens every now and then. This also
happens if I help some other Linux user. Then changing lots of the system
only to be able to debug the system decreases my motivation a lot. This is
also true for testing new Fedora releases, e.g. via a LiveCD. If I always
have to create my own LiveCD to test something, my motivation also goes away
pretty fast.

Regards,
Till