Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 09:45:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 10:38 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> I think that it should be done the other way around, propose the
> changes that affect the whole distro on th is list, listen to what
> people have to say, or, more importantly what code they have to
> propose if they don't like a given design, and then implement it with
> all the concerned parties.

I don't think it can work like that.

1. send a mail saying sendmail won't be on the default desktop install
2. heat hands on ensuing flames

The problem with fedora-devel-list is that the 0.01% of most technical
users are there, most unable to understand that normal people don't use
an smtp server or setup nfs.

If we include everything we've ever started by default in the future
versions, and any of the latest cool new stuff, our boot times are going
to get longer, and our base install bigger.

Design by committee just doesn't work.

Richard.