Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 10:20:06 UTC 2008

Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> While I respect your opinions and experience I do think that the
> reasoning for this behavior change is good enough. I remember the
> first time I was told how to switch to tty1 some 7-8 years ago.
> Immediately after switching to tty1 my curiosity boosted up and I
> tried all the combinations ctrl+alt+F2 through ctrl+alt+F12. I am
> sure many of us went through a similar experience.

Yep, but usually you try that *once* and not *each time* you wanna have
a text console.

For me usually it is like this:

  * Oops, something busted in X11.
  * Try to get a text console via Ctrl-Alt-F1, see if I can fix it up.
Then either:
  * Log in, fix, switch back to X11
or:
  * Ctrl-Alt-F1 has no effect.  Damn.  Reboot time.

cheers,
  Gerd