Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Oct 29 13:04:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 09:45 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 10:38 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > I think that it should be done the other way around, propose the
> > changes that affect the whole distro on th is list, listen to what
> > people have to say, or, more importantly what code they have to
> > propose if they don't like a given design, and then implement it with
> > all the concerned parties.
>
> I don't think it can work like that.
>
> 1. send a mail saying sendmail won't be on the default desktop install
> 2. heat hands on ensuing flames
>
> The problem with fedora-devel-list is that the 0.01% of most technical
> users are there, most unable to understand that normal people don't use
> an smtp server or setup nfs.
The majority of the desktop users are using Windows. The majority of the
non-technical population probably also hasn't heard about Fedora,
either.

> If we include everything we've ever started by default in the future
> versions, and any of the latest cool new stuff, our boot times are going
> to get longer,
 Well, then something must have gone utterly wrong with Fedora's
development ...

>  and our base install bigger.
Yes, the new developments have blown them up. All contributed to the
bloat and the increasing demands on HW resources.

The older "features" didn't. vt1-6+vt7 have been around for ca. 15
years, nfs, sendmail, autofs, etc. also are around in Linux for very
long times.

> Design by committee just doesn't work.
Design by tyranny and design by suppression of minorities
doesn't work either.