Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 14:06:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Dax Kelson <dkelson at gurulabs.com> wrote:
> I would argue strongly that this change should not be made for the
> following reasons (in no particular order):

Not arguing for or against this, but I just want to point out one
thing that a lot of people seem to be mistaken about.

> * The default behavior of X on tty7 has been in place since the
> beginning (almost a decade and a half).

This is actually convention, not any enforced behavior. There is
nothing magic about tty7. It just so happens that the typical init
configuration has been gettys on the first 6 ttys. When X starts, it
simply chooses the next available VT. This has always been
configurable - /etc/inittab with sysvinit and now
/etc/event.d/tty[1-6] with upstart. Personally, I always thought that
6 consoles was more than I've ever wanted, so for me the "default" X
was tty4.

--
Dan