Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Oct 29 14:22:42 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 10:35 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> So the idea is to patch all the initscripts which currently only get started by
>> default for NFS, to as the first thing in their start method grep for nfs in
>> /etc/fstab and if that is not found exit quietly without doing anything further.
>
> To be clear -- this is the rpc* and portmap services, yes?

Yes

> If so, it's
> not entirely clear that it'll work... you need portmap also if you're
> using NIS and so you can't just use nfs mounts in /etc/fstab.

I know portmapper is special, I think we can fix this by adding a check if its
running (by using the subsys lockfile, cheap) and if not start it, to all
services using portmap.

So the nis case would be fixed by the ypbind script starting portmapper (using
service portmapper on) if not already running).

>> Then to make manual mounting of nfs exports not in fstab work properly, the
>> suggested fix is to patch mount to check if the necessary daemons are running
>> and if not start them. Since this will probably turn out to be distro specific
>> I think it would be best to have a checknfsdaemons shell script in some
>> standard location provided by the distro and let mount call that before each
>> nfs mount. (Oh the horror an additional entire fork and exec on each nfs mount,
>> hello people this is going over the network, forget about the fork and exec
>> cost, thank you).
>
> Yeah, I've talked with steved about having portmap, etc auto-started as
> someone running mount and just having it hang has always been my bigger
> concern with turning these off by default.  But I think I actually saw a
> useful error message from mount the other day (... as I've been
> experimenting with some services turned off to see what impact they have
> even for someone who uses old and crufty things like nfs :-)

A decent error is a must, having autostart would be nice though and should not
be to difficult.

Regards,

Hans