Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 17:09:05 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> The flipside
> to all the arguments here is all gettys could be off by default unless
> local admins want them on..and at that point its a customization and
> admins can do whatever the hell they want with their gettys.

Doing that to reduce memory/process overhead would actually be the only
real justification that I've seen so far for making a change like this
(as opposed to switching vt's earlier so you can fade in the mode change).

Why not turn off the getty startup by default and let people who want
them 'chkconfig' them back on?  That gets you a real benefit for the
people who don't ever use vts and consistency all the way around for
people that do.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com