Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Casey Dahlin cdahlin at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 19:33:51 UTC 2008

Dax Kelson wrote:
*snip*
> Uneeded and frivolous incompatibilities between Linux distros are
> particularly annoying to me on many levels. One practical reason is the
> bloat it causes in our courseware. The LSB is fine for developers who
> want to run binaries across multiple distributions, but Linux Sys Admins
> deserve something akin to the LSB that provides greater consistency at
> the Sys Admin level by removing squashing these frivolous
> incompatibilities. This is something that has been brewing in the back
> of my mind and I (using Guru Labs funding/resources and other interested
> parties) might tackle at some point.

I don't really agree with your expectations of Linux as a whole.

This idea has come about that there is an operating system called Linux
and there are many flavors of it called distros. This is not, IMHO, the
case. There are many different operating systems, and they all happen to
use the Linux kernel.

I don't expect Ubuntu to be any more compatible with Fedora than
Windows. The two come out pretty similar only because we happen to agree
on more than we disagree on (believe it or not), and because
wheel-inventing costs effort, even if you think you can make a shinier one.

If somehow I could be transported 30 years into the future, and I could
be sat down in front of Fedora, I'd be honestly disappointed if I
recognized it. I don't much like the idea that all privileged operations
are proxied through one all-capable and identityless account, and
between /usr, /usr/local, and /opt I'm certain there is at least one too
many places to put programs. Every single thing about this OS will
change some day. We'll even switch kernels at some point if we last long
enough (could be 50 years, could be 100) Drastic change is going to
come, and its going to come to the disto that dares. And the rewards
will be great.

--CJD