Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 18:50:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Dax Kelson
>> Is there a mailing list or infrastructure where the shepherds of various
>> distros can discuss a major changes for the sake of compatibility? If
>> not, there should be.
>

> I take exception to the idea that a line edit in a config file like
> inittab...to change default behavior..constitutes a major change.

I don't when it is something that every training manual etc has spoken
from 1994 onward... CONTROL-ALT-F1 to get to a non-X to fix a problem.
You are talking about a change that is rooted in a lot of system
administrators deep core from when they had to fix the CEO's laptop
before the IPO and its not working and we are all going to be fired...
Heck its something my Dad will checklist when he is saying he broke
mom's router and needs me to fix it. "Well its not completely broke, I
got to ALT-F1 and it says login: thats good right."

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux