Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:33:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson (dbn.lists at gmail.com) said:
>> > * The default behavior of X on tty7 has been in place since the
>> > beginning (almost a decade and a half).
>>
>> This is actually convention, not any enforced behavior. There is
>> nothing magic about tty7. It just so happens that the typical init
>> configuration has been gettys on the first 6 ttys. When X starts, it
>> simply chooses the next available VT. This has always been
>> configurable - /etc/inittab with sysvinit and now
>> /etc/event.d/tty[1-6] with upstart. Personally, I always thought that
>> 6 consoles was more than I've ever wanted, so for me the "default" X
>> was tty4.
>
> The fact that it's just convention based on the number of ttys
> configured (that the admin can override) also means that any
> change to unilaterally swtich to tty7 in plymouth means you're
> potentially stomping on a local-use-for-something-else tty. I
> don't think telling admins "if you want to run top on tty7, or
> have already configured your system to do so, you need to edit some
> plymouth thing and re-run mkinitrd for any kernel you want to boot"
> is something that's necessarily going to fly.

I didn't suggest having plymouth change to tty7. In fact, I posted a
patch so that it's all controlled from /etc/sysconfig/desktop instead
of having plymouth and gdm work behind the scenes.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-October/msg02516.html

Does that seem reasonable at all?

--
Dan