Reasons to preseve X on tty7

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 30 16:02:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 13:31 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 07:31:47AM -0500, David G. Mackay wrote:
> > > Design by committee just doesn't work.
> >
> > So all of those ISO and IEEE standards are worthless?
>
> Most of the good ones have a design list a few names long. Same with the
> good RFC stuff. May have had 100 people twiddle with the spec but only a tiny
> few wrote it. Compare IPv6 an OSI Level 4 ...

Sure, but the fact is that design by committee can work.  There's a book, "We Are Smarter Than Me"
by Barry Liebert, Jon Specter, and a cast of thousands.  It gives cases
where group input has been highly productive.  For that matter, how
about the linux kernel?  Group dynamics obviously forms a complex
system, which, often enough spirals off into chaos.  Every now and then,
however, it does work.

Dave