tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 1 13:02:05 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> said:
> Since you've had your own system set this way for years, you don't know what
> you're missing with bash_completion.

Complaining about "fir<TAB>" not exclusively tab completing to "firefox"
is a bit silly IMHO.  What if you have firestarter or firstaidkit (just
to name a couple) installed?  Would you complain if either was added to
the desktop install because you couldn't type "fir<TAB>" and get
firefox?

Yes, tab completion is great, and I've used it for many years in many
incarnations.  I've learned to adapt to a changing set of installed
programs.  Also, I consider completion more useful for arguments than
commands.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>