No X in F10 beta, rawhide...

kwhiskerz kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 04:30:27 UTC 2008

I had installed F10 alpha on both of my computers and have been using it for a
while. All has been very good and I am very pleased with it.

This Wednesday morning I yum updated both systems. I noticed that there was a
new X server, version 1.5.1-4 among the many 100s of MB of downloads. Sadly,
there was an absence of the new Intel drivers that will enable the use of i915
modesetting with this great new X server. Oh well, it will come when it's
ready.

This evening, I booted my desktop computer and the computer locked up at the
point where plymouth ends and the X server starts to log in, via kdm. I could
not even change to another virtual terminal. There was nothing I could do but
Alt-SysRq.

I tried many times, using a slew of kernel options, like removing rhgb,
appending vga=0x318, using nomodeset and enforcing=0. All variations failed.
There was no way I could boot into X.

Then I tired the other computer. The same story. No X. Just a dark grey
screen.

I tried switching to gdm. I tried reverting to X server 1..5.1-2, which worked
just fine last night and this morning. I tried using the previous kernel. I
tried using a full xorg.conf instead of the minimal xorg.conf that has been
recommended recently (and worked great on both computers). I tried no
xorg.conf at all. Still no X.

The problem appears not to be selinux, the usual culprit, nor the new kernel,
nor the most recent X server. It is something else in this morning's spate of
updates.

I can telinit 3, but not startx. What to do?

(The only way I am even able to write this message at all is that I still have
Fedora 9 on a spare partition on the desktop computer. The laptop is now
useless.)