serial console config

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 12:03:31 UTC 2008

Jon Masters wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> What's the recommended way to configure a serial console in Fedora 9
> with upstart? /etc/event.d/serial requires some fedora-centric event to
> be emitted but I'm not sure where this is supposed to be generated.

I've no idea who generates that event.  But it works for me simply by
booting the kernel with "console=ttyS0".  Gives you (as usual) all boot
messages on the serial line, and additionally it somehow triggers the
mentioned event so you'll have a getty for login too.  Works with the
xen console (aka console=hvc0) too, probably anything != virtual terminal.

For just an additional getty on the serial line, without also moving the
console it it, I've simply copyed tty1 to ttyS0 and adapted it.  Keep in
mind though that booting with console=ttyS0 then is a real bad idea
then.  In that case both serial and ttyS0 start a getty on your serial
line, they fight for your keystrokes then, making it almost impossible
to login because you never know which of the two actually gets what you
type ...

cheers,
  Gerd