Uniform Proxy Settings

Kulbir Saini kulbirsaini at students.iiit.ac.in
Fri Oct 3 15:36:54 UTC 2008

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 08:23:13PM +0530, Kulbir Saini wrote:
>>> One suggestion to get around this would be to run a proxy on localhost
>>> and make all proxy aware applications use that in their default
>>> install. This wouldn't actually have to do any caching - just act as a
>>> common point at which behaviour could actually be changed without the
>>> cooperation of the programs.
>>   This sounds good but some work environments doesn't allow you to run
>> proxy on your own machine. e.g. Consider an office env in a
>> multinational or a university where running proxy on every single
>> machine violates the computer usage policy.
>
> I don't see how it would matter.  The proxy would be an internal-only
> abstraction of how the system talks to the rest of the net.  It
> wouldn't be visible or usable from outside the local system.

   I think its not fair enough to introduce a proxy server (even if its
minimal and local) just because we can't figure out a uniform system to
set and retrieve the proxy settings. And even if we have this proxy
minimal and local proxy server, there is no guarantee that all the apps
will use it. So, IMHO its best to force applications to use a uniform
location like http_proxy for setting/getting the proxy settings.

Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Web-Blog: http://fedora.co.in/

IRC nick : generalBordeaux
Channels : #fedora, #fedora-devel, #yum on freenode

believed to be clean.