Uniform Proxy Settings

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 20:53:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 16:42 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 4:35 PM, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> >  Why do "desktop people" keep proposing things that are _only_
> > acceptable in a monolithic desktop application?
> >
> >  Or do you seriously expect yum/anaconda/wget/whatever to use APIs that
> > work by directly hooking into the glib main loop?
>
> I didn't suggest that!  I was saying what direction I would like the
> *desktop* to take.  Whether libsoup is appropriate for system
> components is another discussion.

 So I'm going to assume that we're, again, ignoring a bunch of real
Fedora users who use gnome-terminal on the desktop ... for all those 60+
year olds who don't, and are about to be a majority of our users RSN.

 But I have to ask, is gnome-PackageKit part of the desktop?
 Assuming so, are you suggesting that gnome-PackageKit override all yum
downloads that happen from as soon as a user logs into the desktop?
 Or maybe that some yum related downloads will happen with the "desktop"
proxy settings, and some with the "system" proxy settings?

 The desktop is more than just large _monolithic_ applications using the
glib main loop.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat