GNUstep

Scott Christley schristley at mac.com
Sat Oct 4 03:11:10 UTC 2008

Greetings,

I'm new to Fedora and am interested in helping get GNUstep included
into Fedora.  I'm one of the original developers of GNUstep but have
long since moved up into user space, so I have the ulterior motive
that I can get my own free software research tools (which depend on
GNUstep) packaged into Fedora too some day!

Anyways, I discovered that the topic has come up recently and the
discussion summarized in Fedora weekly news:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue140#GNUstep_Filesystem_Layout_Discussion

so I've read through the emails and tried as much as I could to
understand the issues related to the GNUstep directory structure
fitting with the FHS. I'm not an expert in FSH, so don't think I can
say straight out what I think the best solution, but I offer some
opinions.

Development using GNUstep can produce a number of different products,
the core ones being:

tools
libraries
applications
frameworks
bundles

Now tools and libraries are well-known concepts, a tool is a command-
line program typically self-contained, and a library is a binary
object with some header files.  The other products are different in
that they are wrappers for a directory structure and a set of files.
Applications are graphical programs, frameworks are library wrappers
and bundles are executable code to be dynamically loaded at runtime.
They are wrappers because there are many files involved, take an
application, beside the executable object it has files for GUI
elements, configuration, localized strings, localized GUI elements,
images, sounds, other media, etc. etc., all kinds of resources as they
are called.  A sophisticated application could easily have hundreds of
such resource files, frameworks and bundles can have any set of
resources files as well.

So my suggestion would be:

* tools mostly but also sometimes libraries can have clear role
outside GNUstep, so it is appropriate to treat them as such.  My
suggestion would be FHS and flattened, so that they get install in
expected places like ${_bindir} and %{_libdir}.

* let applications, frameworks and bundles live within the pure
GNUstep layout.

I'm sure I didn't touch on many of the issues that were brought up, so
I look forward to your comments!

cheers
Scott