Fedora 10 early branch now available.

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 07:49:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 08:42:17 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 10:04 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > Awesome! Is this something that is considered to become the de-facto
> > standard (as in mass-early-branching) sooner or later?
>
> Likely not.  There are two sets of folks we're trying to satisfy, those
> that actually continue on with future development, and those that need
> the entire development cycle for the current release.  Early branching
> the latter folks just adds more work for them every time they do a build
> as to not have upgrade path issues and to not forget to build for the
> next rawhide.  By letting maintainers choose for themselves when to
> branch we can satisfy both sets of maintainers.

Unconvincing and not helpful IMO.

Upgrade path issues between soon-to-be-F10 and F11-development are pretty
much irrelevant. Those with no interest in F11-development may commit
to F-10 only and ignore devel for now. They may sync updates later or
on demand.

And as soon as some people ask for an early branch, they may go on with
future development and break ABI/API/whatever, which in turn needs
rebuilds and activity from other maintainers. Affected maintainers can
only catch up if they request an early branch themselves. Else rawhide
breaks into more and more pieces until F-10 is branched officially.
However, the new development packages cannot be installed anyway as long
as it still targets F10. Please branch fully or let it be. Bureaucracy
added on top of private repos in koji is not good.