tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Tue Oct 7 02:22:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 20:51 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> If we work from a setup where */sbin are not in the default PATH, we only have
> to worry about existing full paths to executables we think should be in PATH
> in order to not cause regressions, most likely by providing compatibility
> symlinks or wrappers.  This way, work done results in incremental
> improvements.

 We already _had_ this discussion, just providing a few symlinks from
sbin to bin isn't a good solution. Please read the thread from May.

>   This is a problem because what we want to
> achieve is PATH which is kept clean of things that are not useful to have
> there

 Again, read the thread from May, deciding which things only "normal"
people want in the path to keep it "clean" is very non-trivial.
 Apparently Matthew doesn't want firstboot in his path, that's nice ...
but what about if someone else does want it, do we start voting, for
each binary?

 If we are going to decide that Fedora can't even manage to change the
PATH to include sbin¹ without 100 people painting the bikeshed different
colours, so be it ... but please, please, please, don't let everyone
paint the thing for the next N years.

¹ And, yes, I've always hacked /etc/profile on every box I've used to
make sbin be part of the path, I'm obviously far from alone, but meh.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat