tab completion less useful now, due to sbin in path

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Oct 7 06:09:39 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 07 October 2008, James Antill wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 20:51 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > If we work from a setup where */sbin are not in the default PATH, we only
> > have to worry about existing full paths to executables we think should be
> > in PATH in order to not cause regressions, most likely by providing
> > compatibility symlinks or wrappers.  This way, work done results in
> > incremental improvements.
>
>  We already _had_ this discussion, just providing a few symlinks from
> sbin to bin isn't a good solution. Please read the thread from May.

I have read the "Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10" thread
from April, not sure if that's what you mean but apart from one message I
didn't find a related thread from May.  In the April thread I see several
people advocating the symlink approach, and some people having reservations
about it, most of whom seem to be hesitant about the amount of work involved
in general with doing this right (ie. not the symlinking per se), and one or
two who dismissed symlinking without providing any rationale.  If I missed
something, please provide exact pointers.