Disappointed: My feature was removed without notifying me

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 20:59:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 08:23:08PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 08:09:12PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>  * the decision was made by people who obviously did not read the
>>    feature page and have no interest in the feature. If somebody
>>    has not read the page he should not speak up on that topic or
>>    decide about it, and if he has further question he should ask.
>
>Fully agreed with you on this point.  If FESCo members would volunteer
>to package up even some tiny MinGW package[1], then I think the
>standard of debate on the MinGW issue would be hugely improved.

If FESCo has to go and be an intimate part of a Feature in order
for it to get approved or discussed, then that is what I would
consider to be a very large failure.  Reality dictates that the
9 people in FESCo do not have infinite time to do explicit
things with every single Feature that gets presented.
FESCo is a steering committee. We rely on you, the developers,
to do your part for Features.

It's the Feature owners responsibility to present clear and
concise information on the Feature.  You did that rather well
for MinGW.  Debate on things will naturally happen.  You also
did a good job participating there.  I believe I can honestly
say that you were the most active Feature owner for this release
in making sure your Feature was understood and completed.

And I'd like to point out that LXDE (and Haskell, and others)
were _approved_ for F10.  They were dropped later for nothing
more than lack of following the Feature process.  Not out of
spite, or lack of interest, or some evil desire to promote
only things that some Cabal cares about.

josh

(Btw, to your specific point, I cross compile packages all the
time.  A large majority of the discussion was generated by me.
So I don't think your axiom holds true at all.)