Fedora 10 Live CD services (all necessary?)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 9 17:36:13 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> I also said that I'm a "above average desktop user" so you could also
> replace "I don't need" with "average desktop used doesn't need".

If you believe that any particular service is generally not useful for
desktop users, then be specific about it. Avahi for example was in your
list but is a very useful service for desktop users generally. There was
a long discussion very recently on default services including sendmail
as well. You might want to refer to that. No point in repeating it all
over again.

> I believe that services should be regarded with the same attitude as
> open ports on a firewall. Some long time ago all ports were open and
> only "bad ones" were open, now all are closed and only explicitly ones
> are opened. Also all security and administration Rad Hat guides say
> that all unnecessary services should be turned off, and only turned on
> if explicitly needed.

You got to differentiate between services that listen to network
connections like ssh from services like HAL which are local.

> That is why I believe that ALL services should be disabled, and then
> for each one there should be some kind of explanation why this service
> absolutely needs to be enabled. All the rest services should be left
> disabled by default.

This is pretty much what is followed already. If a service is enabled by
default, it is usually there for a good reason.

Rahul