WIX under Mono

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 22:48:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've been looking at porting WIX to run cleanly under Mono as it would
be both a useful package for cygwin as well as our friends over at
Novell (allows them to get the open source goodness of Mono onto Win32).

First the bad news - and it's quite a fair few prongs on it!

1. It is reliant on the HTML help 1.4 SDK. I'm not sure if this is a
binary only app available from MS or not.
2. It is reliant on the MSI SDK. Again, not sure if this a binary only
from MS or not
3. There are a lot of references to VS and VS paths in the NAnt files
4. Using NAnt - it's going to take ages to port.

The good news.

1. It should be easy enough to build the source with hand crafted make
files (such as how Debian do it with mysql-connector-net). I can't see
anything in the source which isn't implemented under Mono 2.0. The build
would need to be a two stage build (one for WIX, the other for the
native WIX files)

Now, the only thing I've not factored in is the time to do it...

TTFN

Paul