Disappointed: My feature was removed without notifying me

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 9 23:41:32 UTC 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 09.10.2008, 09:03 +0100 schrieb David Woodhouse:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 22:56 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> > > The decision was made under the _fact_ that the Feature lacked packages
> > > that had not passed review.  If they aren't all there, it can't be tested
> > > by Beta.  It's really that simple.
> >
> > As I wrote in a previous mail: I don't challenge that, but for me it not
> > "really that simple" but "really that disappointing". I've put a lot of
> > work into the feature and when I see that people hardly seem to read the
> > feature page or don't care about informing the feature owner is just
> > disappointing
>
> It is unfortunate that you didn't get informed properly. We'll make an
> effort to ensure that kind of thing doesn't happen again. I apologise
> for that, and I suspect I speak for the rest of FESCo when I do so.
>
> One thing we can do in future to make that situation better is Cc the
> feature owners when the meeting agenda is sent to fedora-devel-list. I
> hope we can manage that.

Should not be that hard, there are not so many features/feature
owners. ;)

> The other thing we should do, of course, is work out _why_ you didn't
> get the notification. Do you get _any_ notifications? Was it just this
> one which was missing? Is there someone from the infrastructure team who
> can look into that? ISTR you said that you were the last person to edit
> the page before the missing notification -- so it wasn't _expected_ that
> you didn't get notified?

Nope. You get a notification for the first change, and John was the
first to edit the page after me. So I should have gotten a notice as I
got before on the other changes.
I'm using Gmail now and it's nearly impossible to delete a mail there
(it's even nearly impossible to delete it on purpose), because every
mail is also stored in the "All Messages"-folder. I have searched my
whole mailbox and I did not find anything.

> We appreciate the work you've put into packaging LXDE. We certainly
> don't mean to suggest otherwise, and we are pleased to see the packages
> in Fedora 10. (Well, I {do,don't,am}, and again I'm being presumptuous).
>
> Let's get the final two packages reviewed -- and that's another area
> where we could do with some improvement, because failing to approve
> packages really _is_ verging on the 'deletionism' you spoke of. But
> that's a separate discussion.

Agreed, we can discuss this later. BTW: The word "deletionsm" did not
come from me, it was Josh who said that, but of course I agree with him.

> And then if everything's working and the only thing that's missing is an
> entry in comps which lets you choose it in the installer, I think
> there's a fairly strong case for having an exception to the string
> freeze -- especially since the translation of 'LXDE' is going to be
> 'LDXE' in most cases ;)  We'll see...

Ok, since there is good progress in the reviews now I'm going to ask the
localization team for a string freeze break.

Thanks for your support David, and of course everybody else, who
supports me the LXDE feature.

Regards,
Christoph