[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Fri Oct 10 13:33:47 UTC 2008

Itamar - IspBrasil wrote:

> any chance to increase the life of fedora releases ?
>
> or fedora will be only blending edge ?
>
> In my opinion fedora is losing space from centos and ubuntu

> The brazilian government, one of the biggest Fedora Case of the world is
> changing from Fedora/ Red Hat to Ubuntu/Debian.

The problem was at an initial point, when Fedora was considered "for
enthusiasts only". A lot of previous "RedHat Linux enthusiasts" just
switch to CentOS (and similar RHEL-based systems), no more using Fedora,
because "it is marked as a non-for-production system even by its creators".

As a result, the amount of Fedora-testers in real production
environments significantly decreases. Fedora development seems to be
focused on Desktop and some conseptual things now, rather than a real
"production" life. Perhaps some marketing people assume that
"production" implies the purchase of RHEL and commercial support, rather
than trying to use some free-of-charge system, because such a system
should be unstable for production environment. But people do not want to
pay and they use CentOS instead...

This situation seems to be reflected in the Fedora project itself.
Guess, how many Fedora infrastructure servers are run under the latest
"stable" Fedora release? Maybe some previois release? How many key
people work under Fedora Desktop "all the time"? (Maybe RedHat employees
of them are compelled to use RHEL Desktop in basic working hours?)

And finally, when you will discover the actual situation, ask yourself
-- why Brasilian should use Fedora (and Fedora-based RHEL), when even
Fedora's fathers do not use it for anything real?

Sorry for a little bit sarcasm though...

~buc