Heads up on ext4 changes

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 18:27:13 UTC 2008

Eric Sandeen wrote:
> The ext4 patchset for 2.6.28 contains several fixes as well as,
> ultimately, a change in the name of the filesystem from "ext4dev" to
> "ext4." (*) - I've pulled this in for F10.
>
> This will also require an updated e2fsprogs, because there was a bug in
> blkid which failed to recognize older "ext4dev" filesystems (those with
> the test_fs flag set) as ext4, as it should have.  This caused them to
> not mount automatically.
>
> So long story short, you'll need to update kernel & e2fsprogs together,
> if you have ext4(dev) filesystems and you need them to mount seamlessly.
>  It's recoverable (just a mounting  failure) but I don't want anyone to
> be too surprised.

aaaand that turns out to be insufficient.

Changing /etc/fstab to list "ext4" for the root fs may be enough, do it
before you install the new kernel.

notting suggested a module alias to ext4dev in the ext4.ko module
itself, that sounds like a good plan and as long as it gets upstream
I'll commit it to Fedora shortly, and I think that should make it all
seamless.

Thanks,
-Eric