CMake!

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Oct 10 20:56:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 15:56 -0400, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Callum Lerwick wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 11:31 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >> If the state of the art has advanced and there's a tool that can
> >> replace libtool so a developer can say "I want a shared library"
> >> and the
> >> tool builds it on all platforms then we could look into getting
> >> upstreams to switch but simply getting rid of libtool in favour of
> >> handcoding Makefiles to build shared libraries is a step in the wrong
> >> direction.
> >
> > CMake! Catch the wave!
> >
> > http://www.cmake.org/
>
> Um, no. That's not what he asked for.
>
> If you want upstream to stop using libtool altogether, find a suitable
> replacement and convince the Automake developers to use it instead.

Why the h8? He was speaking in the context of "the state of the art" and
in my oh-so-humble opinion CMake is it. The whole of the Autotools stack
is very much... not. Last I checked I was just some random guy on the
internet who has sadly not been granted the power to force anyone to do
anything.

> This thread is getting less constructive by the posting.  We still
> don't know the nature of the failures.

There, does changing the subject make you happier?