Status of libtool 2.2.X?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 21:02:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:06 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 19:36 +0200, Karsten Hopp wrote:
>> Getting libtool-2.2 into F-11 is my plan, but I most likely need to get that through
>> FESCo as it breaks up to 300 packages according to my mass rebuilds. I'm going to
>> prepare a Wiki page with details about that.
>
> Isn't the whole point of libtool that it should make things _easier_,
> not break huge swathes of packages whenever we change it?

The amount of breakage is usually very minor. The big thing that
caused breakage is that libtool-1.5 used to automatically haul in
configuration for C, C++ and fortran. Certainly you've seen this in a
configure run where it's checking for gcc, then g++, then g77. With
libtool-2.2, you have to specify if you need more than C. See here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#index-LT_005fLANG-89

And an example patch where the package was broken using libtool-2.2:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-May/011730.html

Pretty basic. I'm guessing someone could plow through and fix all
these issues pretty quickly. Gentoo has already been doing this for
months, so it would be straightforward to find any necessary patches.

--
Dan