[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 10 22:16:08 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> I saw no mention of Centos, though someone in the thread mentioned
> that it had been attempted. Your point about upgrade makes sense,
> though I find it pretty weak. Is doing an inplace upgrade on a
> production server common? I don't think so, but I am quite possibly
> wrong.

In my previous organization working as a administrator, I was asked by a
server owner to live upgrade his Red Hat Linux 9 system to Fedora Core 2
even though there was several hundreds of active domains in it. They had
backups but time was absolutely of essence that he was willing to risk
it. The upgrade via yum turned out to be fine in the end. I suspect
situations like these are not very uncommon and more people will be able
to use it, if we spend some resources tackling the problem. Thankfully,
it is happening already.

Now that PackageKit has support for distro upgrades (ie) desktop
notification for new releases, the situation is much better for many
users. Preupgrade which PackageKit will be using to do the job, is also
enhanced by making use of the blacklist and whiteout yum plugins that
have been split up from Anaconda.

Rahul