[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 09:06:36 UTC 2008

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-10-10, 15:49 GMT, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> What we need for the same effect now is for the versions of
>> fedora that provide the initial RHEL cuts to offer a seamless
>> update to the subsequent matching CentOS, repointing to its
>> update repositories for continued support.
>
> How is it different from just using CentOS?

There's no lead time for your own local development and testing.  You
would never expect one of the old RH X.0 releases to be production-ready
but the new releases would have new kernels, libraries, and utilities so
you could incorporate their features in your own work, which was likely
to proceed at approximately the same rate as the distro evolved toward
stability.  With Centos you don't get anything to work with and test
ahead of time, and if you'd tested on an earlier Fedora there may or may
not be any relationship.  A side effect was that the community of RH
users that reported/fixed bugs in the X.0 got something for their effort
in being able to continue using the updated release instead of being
abandoned as a wildly new X.0 came out.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com