[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 19:49:20 UTC 2008

2008/10/11 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 04:06 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> There's no lead time for your own local development and testing.  You
>> would never expect one of the old RH X.0 releases to be production-ready
>> but the new releases would have new kernels, libraries, and utilities so
>> you could incorporate their features in your own work, which was likely
>> to proceed at approximately the same rate as the distro evolved toward
>> stability.  With Centos you don't get anything to work with and test
>> ahead of time, and if you'd tested on an earlier Fedora there may or may
>> not be any relationship.  A side effect was that the community of RH
>> users that reported/fixed bugs in the X.0 got something for their effort
>> in being able to continue using the updated release instead of being
>> abandoned as a wildly new X.0 came out.
>
> CentOS should be putting out betas that match the RHEL betas so that you
> can get access to it before the release.  Use Fedora as the technology
> driver, use Betas as the bugfix cleanup for platform issues, and
> eventually you get the "Enterprise" release.

I think the major problem with CentOS putting out beta's in a timely
basis is that a large amount of time is getting the build resources
together AND then deciphering various build variables that RHEL uses
so that the CentOS binaries 'match' close enough to be bug for bug
compatible. The time to do that basically had a CentOS-5beta out at
the time that RHEL-5 is finalized.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux