young Fedora torrents spread data too slowly

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Sun Oct 12 09:26:40 UTC 2008

Mike McGrath wrote:
> I'll have a talk with Jesse.  For the normal releases we typically have
> multiple seeders from the start.  For these sorts of snapshots I suspect
> some steps can be taken to ensure better usability here.  I talked with
> Seth a bit about this too (he's our current torrent wrangler) and we
> generally think this was just an issue with two many chunks and not enough
> people for chunks from the beginning.  Which is self correcting but A)
> is annoying and B) is preventable in the future.  We just have to figure
> out the procedure on it.

I'm not convinced by this explanation. If you know a little bit about
the bittorrent protocol, the scenario of a fast uploader and about 40
downloaders is literally a textbook example where bitorrent behaves at
its best. Yet the algorithm broke down fairly quickly, as though the
server pushed the chunks in linear order. That or something on the
network got in the way.

As a precaution, could you try seeding using a different torrent client
next time ? Transmission has a daemon mode that is quite nice
(transmission-daemon and transmission-remote) for example.