[Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 00:59:28 UTC 2008

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

>> Yes but what is the point of developing for it?
>
> There's a notion called freedom that you may have heard of.

And how is that specific to Fedora?  I meant as opposed to a system
where you can actually deploy something that needs stability.

>> With a planned progression to an enterprise version, that would not
>> really be a migration away from fedora but the expected end point where
>
> Again, this supposes that one of Fedora's end goals is to easily
> permit its users to migrate to other distributions. This isn't the
> case.

Agreed, Fedora does not seem suitable as is.

>> you are permitted to continue using anything you've contributed or
>> developed for your own use, staying in the same community instead of
>> having all previous work dumped out the window at the end of a cycle.
>
> When a Fedora version release reaches EOL, users have the possibility
> of upgrading to the next release. These days, they even have the option
> of upgrading to the release following that one if they wait long enough.
> I have no idea where you get the notion that we're guiding users to a
> "planned dead-end" or that, once a Fedora release is EOL-ed, they have
> to dump out their work out the window.

I've used Fedora... Every version ends support quickly.  Frequently the
next version has completely incompatible versions of libraries,
programs, and API's.  It's not something you can run in production.

> If your goal is to use an distribution that promises ABI/API
> compatibility, long term support and other "enterprise" features, there
> are a whole host of distributions for which these are goals.
> Why not use them ?

Local development for things you want to put into production progresses
at about the same rate as the system itself.  If you wait for an
enterprise version's release before starting, you'll be about a year and
a half behind.  If you develop on the previous enterprise version, there
will be a huge version jump in libraries, database versions, jvms, etc.
that will require changes and not take advantage of new capabilities.
For all the same reasons that the Fedora components need to be developed
together, so does local development for the things you want to run on it
- but Fedora never turns into something you can use for a long term or
where you need reliability.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com